Boolean Strings Network

The Internet Sourcing Community

Do you use Yahoo? What do you like and dislike about it?
What are its unique features? (Linkdomain, ...?)
What are the current limitations?
Are there some useful online articles or sources that teach you about it?

I am hoping to see a variety of views from our community. Thanks!

Tags: Yahoo, engine, search

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yahoo -

Likes - you can cover portions of the web that are not covered by other search engines, there is minimal overlap so it really does pay to know how to find "The Low Hanging Fruit" that can be found with just simple searches on another search engine. In some cases the syntax is identical so you can simply cut and paste that string from one engine right into another. Not in all cases but in many.

Dislikes - I tend to get a little more "fluff" (non value added information)

Sources for information - I rely on my AIRS material. I have a template which was part of my ACIR certification that I use to reference syntax if I am rusty. I'm a researcher, I can't possibly know it all (no one does) but I do need to know where to find the correct answer fast.
No keyword limit, unlike Google and Live...

Unique features include linkdomain (sort of), region: and feature:

It's HUGE - Bigger than Google :)

Simple results - clean to read - no extra stuff like Google provides that is usually useless.

Does more pure Boolean than Google.

Limits? Like google, you can only see 1000 results.

The site: explorer still doesn't allow you to refine your search once you have been redirected, but if keywords are added from the initial search page, it works fine...
As you indicated, the linkdomain: command is unique to Yahoo and a good reason to flip the domain & search the links on Yahoo.

There are a few commands that are universal that will also work on Yahoo such as the powerfile site: command to xray a site.

If for some reason I don't find what I need in the results on Google, my next choice would be Yahoo.

Also, http://leapfish.com is a metasearch engine that searches Google, Yahoo and MSN (Live) realtime after you tell it which engine to use.
No keyword limit on yahoo? :)

Kelly said:
No keyword limit, unlike Google and Live...

Unique features include linkdomain (sort of), region: and feature:

It's HUGE - Bigger than Google :)

Simple results - clean to read - no extra stuff like Google provides that is usually useless.

Does more pure Boolean than Google.

Limits? Like google, you can only see 1000 results.

The site: explorer still doesn't allow you to refine your search once you have been redirected, but if keywords are added from the initial search page, it works fine...
Have you tried twingine?
I found another one!
http://www.mixxr.co.uk/

Irina Shamaeva said:
Have you tried twingine?
It's HUGE results - Bigger than Google
there is no limit we can see more than 1000 results

And also i need some yahoo search engines for search exhibitors list for all the expo's in the USA
Sorry, but you can't see more than 1,000 results on Yahoo.

Premalatha said:
It's HUGE results - Bigger than Google
there is no limit we can see more than 1000 results

And also i need some yahoo search engines for search exhibitors list for all the expo's in the USA
Another unique and great feature of Yahoo! is the boolean NEAR: -operator, which allows you to define the maximum distance between two keywords to be no more than 10 words.
Well, I'm learning more and more every day... Yahoo takes the NEAR operator? There IS a keyword limit? What is it? Can someone clarfiy both of these things for me?? I was totally unaware of each, and can find no documentation of either anywhere... (some researcher I am!) Would love to be educated!
Jan,
I don't think Yahoo supports the NEAR operator. (I wish!)

Jan Kirchner said:
Another unique and great feature of Yahoo! is the boolean NEAR: -operator, which allows you to define the maximum distance between two keywords to be no more than 10 words.
It looks like NEAR does work in Yahoo (???)... Running some test strings, it definietly does have an impact, and it looks like they are within 10 words, as Jan said...

Irina Shamaeva said:
Jan,
I don't think Yahoo supports the NEAR operator. (I wish!)

Jan Kirchner said:
Another unique and great feature of Yahoo! is the boolean NEAR: -operator, which allows you to define the maximum distance between two keywords to be no more than 10 words.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Irina Shamaeva.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service